Monday, June 23, 2008

At Last

Finally rigged the mizzen sheets and set up the topping lifts on both masts and so off to sea.

It was somewhat lumpier than I had been expecting after a long run of Northerly winds and the gaffs were a bit unruly as they were hoisted. The power winches worked well though the main peak halliard was a bit too long and didn't flatten the mainsail as much as it should.

But she actually sailed, not too fast but definite progress under sail.

It became clear that she needs the big headsail as the weather helm was taking any speed off the boat, which was a pity as I hadn't rigged the foremost stay. Thats all completed now and all we need is for the rain and gales to go away and we will have the rest of the year to go somewhere.

Some discussion about where to go for the summer cruise. I favour South she favours North. So no doubt we will split the difference - and go North. Must admit I would like to anchor at Holy island again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Telo said...

Thought I'd look in to see how you're getting on; see that you're back on the water, but like those of us on the west, you'll be hoping for better weather.

Re the North/South Divide, my instinct would be north (and west, but I don't suppose that is a realistic option for you).

Best

Shard

1:20 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home